C. elegans Resources
Strains and Reagents
- Caenorhabditis Genetics Center (CGC) - request/deposit worm strains, Worm Breeders' Gazette archives, C. elegans Bibliography, and more.
- Fire Lab Vector Kit (Addgene)
- RNAi Feeding Library (Ahringer Lab)
- C. elegans Gene Knockout Consortium
- National Bioresource Project for the Experimental Animal "Nematode C. elegans" - deletion mutants available from the Mitani group
- NEXTDB (Nematode Expression Pattern Database) - mRNA in situ expression patterns from Yuji Kohara's group.
- Nembase - search nematode ESTs (Blaxter lab).
- BC C. elegans Gene Expression Consortium
- Textpresso - "An information retrieval and extraction system for biological literature" for C. elegans.
- RNAi Database
- C. elegans RNAi Phenome Database - at RIKEN
Genomics & Proteomics
- Nematode Genomes - Links to project pages for nematode genomes currently being sequenced by Genome Sequencing Center, Washington University (St. Louis, MO) Louis, MO)
- Caenorhabditis Genome Sequencing Projects - Sanger Institute
- AcePrimer 1.1 - "PCR primer design based on gene structure", from the Michael Smith Genome Sciences Center.
- Worm Enhancer
- InteractomeDB (Vidal Lab)
- WORFDB (C. elegans ORFeome database, Vidal Lab)
Nobel Prizes recognizing C. elegans Researchers
- 2002 Nobel Prize in Medicine - Sydney Brenner, Robert Horvitz and John Sulston
- 2006 Nobel Prize in Medicine - Andrew Fire and Craig Mello
- "Worthy of Investment" - article on Craig Mello, written for the Center News at FHCRC.
Publications and References
- WormBook - "WormBook contains original reviews on all aspects of C. elegans biology and up-to-date descriptions of technical procedures used to study this animal."
- C. elegans II (1997) - from the NCBI Bookshelf
- Nematology - Selected Bibliography - from the UC-Davis Dept. of Nematology.
- "The Common Thread: A Story of Science, Politics, Ethics, and the Human Genome" - National Academies Press Openbook project; written by John Sulston and Georgina Ferry, and published in 2002 by Joseph Henry Press. This book provides Sulston's account of the development of the Human Genome Project, starting from the C. elegans sequencing project.
- Parasitic Nematode Sequencing Project - Genome Sequencing Center, Washington University (St. Louis, MO)
- Nematode Genomics and Phylogenomics - Mark Blaxter's group
- General Nematology - resources from Nemaplex, at UC-Davis
Lineage Tools and Software
- WormBase Virtual Machines
- 4D Microscopy - tools developed at the Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (U.Wisconsin-Madison)
Educational & Teaching Aids
- "Worm Breeding for Dummies" - an excellent guide to performing crosses and mapping mutations in C. elegans
- Caenorhabditis elegans - background information on C. elegans, written by Mark Blaxter.
- W.O.R.M. Initiative - Wisconsin Outreach Research Modules - Excellent background information on the value of model organisms in teaching, and in the use of C. elegans in particular.
- Worm Classroom
- C. elegans Resources for Teachers
Groups and Societies
- Developmental Biology Group of the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Genetics Society of America - Official Society publication is "Genetics". They sponsor a number of model organism-specific meetings, including the biannual International C. elegans meeting (next meeting: June 27 - July 1, 2007, UCLA).
- Society for Developmental Biology - Official Society publication is "Developmental Biology". Meetings are held annually; next meeting will be June 16 - 20, 2007 in Cancún, Mexico. The Northwest Regional meeting is held every March at Friday Harbor Laboratories on San Juan Island.
- ISDB: International Society for Developmental Biologists - Official Society publication is "Mechanisms of Development". Meetings are held every four years; next meeting will be 7 - 10 Sept., 2009 in Edinburgh, Scotland.